Call Us Anytime At (800) 435-7542
  • Email Us
  • Call Us Today (800) 435-7542

Children’s Rights

Children’s Rights

Get help exercising your child’s right to a safe and fair school environment.

At Perona, Langer, Beck, Serbin and Harrison, we are strong believers in children’s rights to a safe school environment and equal access to education. When children are mistreated by teachers, administrators, coaches, and other school staff and denied their rights, we are here to help.

Our children’s rights litigation team is led by senior partner Major Langer with the support of associate Alexis Langer, several attorneys, paralegals, and support staff. We make sure families have the resources and information they need to protect their kids in case of:

Harassment/Bullying: Being harassed or bullied at school can have a tremendously detrimental effect on a child. Unfortunately, many teachers and administrators are not addressing bullying in a way that protects the children in their care. PLBSH can help hold schools accountable and secure monetary compensation to help victims of harassment or bullying heal.

Discrimination: If your child has been treated differently from their peers due to their gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or religion, this is discrimination. It is imperative to strike back to end the unfair treatment and keep your child from viewing themselves as a second-class citizen. PLBSH will fight passionately for your child’s cause in appropriate legal action.

Teacher Misconduct: Teachers are entrusted with the education and nurturing of children, so when teachers instead subject kids to physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual abuse, or first amendment restrictions, it can be very damaging to the children. PLBSH has experience in these types of cases and we can help hold school districts liable for failing to prevent teacher misconduct.

Sexual Abuse/Molestation: If your child has been sexually abused or molested, PLBSH will aggressively pursue justice for your family. While this won’t erase the painful memories, getting justice can help bring some closure to the situation and help children heal after abuse.

Disability Discrimination: Regardless of their abilities, all children deserve to receive an appropriate education in an environment where they are protected from discrimination and their needs are met. If your child has been unfairly excluded from school activities, denied adequate assistance and accommodation, or otherwise discriminated against, PLBSH is here to fight for better treatment.

Get No-Risk Representation for Your Child

If your child’s rights have been violated, Perona, Langer, Beck, Serbin and Harrison can provide no-risk representation requiring no up front or out-of-pocket costs. If we do not get you any money, we won’t charge you a dime.

Q: What happens if I believe my son or daughter has been a victim of bullying or abuse at school?

You should be as proactive as possible if you believe your child has been bullied or harassed at school. It is very important to put the school on notice of your complaints or concerns relating to your child’s safety, education and well-being. Inform the school with a letter or email so they know about your concerns and can take appropriate action to correct the issues to prevent further problems. Make sure to keep a copy of any communications you send to the school for your own records.

Q: Can you initiate a lawsuit if your child has been physically or mentally injured, sexually abused, or a victim of negligence?

Yes. You will need to preserve your rights before the statute of limitations expires. It is very important to keep in mind the time limits to file lawsuits. Deadlines to file a civil lawsuit are different if the victim is a minor (under the age of 18) and an adult (over the age of 18). Notably, if the defendant is a public entity then the deadlines for filing a civil lawsuit can be as short as six months from the incident, or when the parent learns of the abuse. This requires what is called a “government claim”. The statute of limitations in this area of the law is very complicated. Be sure to consult with an attorney to make sure you do not risk missing necessary deadlines.

Q: What if the case has been reported to the police or there is a pending criminal investigation?

Unfortunately, some of the cases involving injuries with children may have a criminal law component to them. If you have reason to believe that the victim has been abused or was a victim of wrongdoing then you should make a report to the police or proper authorities. In addition, you should not wait until a criminal case or investigation is over to speak to a civil lawyer as a pending criminal case generally does not extend the case in which a civil case has to be filed.

To discuss your case in confidence with an experienced attorney, call us at (800) 435-7542 and request your free initial consultation.


QUESTIONS? Call us anytime at (800) 435-7542

PLBSH Located at
300 East San Antonio Drive, Long Beach, CA.
PLBSH Logo Phone: (800) 435-7542

Free Consultation